John's Co-Cathedral among the tombs of other Grand Masters of the Knights of Malta.Francesco Laparelli was the city's principal designer and his plan departed from medieval Maltese architecture, which exhibited irregular winding streets and alleys.The foundation stone of the city was laid by Grand Master de Valette on 28 March 1566.
In the early 19th century, the British Civil Commissioner, Henry Pigot, agreed to demolish the majority of the city's fortifications.
Eventually building projects in Valletta resumed under British rule.
A cruise-liner terminal is located along the old seawall of the Valletta Waterfront that Portuguese Grandmaster Manuel Pinto da Fonseca built.
Valletta features a Mediterranean climate with warm, dry summers and mild, wet winters.
De Valette died from a stroke on 21 August 1568 at age 74 and never saw the completion of his city.
Originally interred in the church of Our Lady of the Victories, his remains now rest in St.
He designed the new city on a rectangular grid plan, and without any collacchio (an area restricted for important buildings).
The streets were designed to be wide and straight, beginning centrally from the City Gate and ending at Fort Saint Elmo (which was rebuilt) overlooking the Mediterranean; certain bastions were built 47 metres (154 ft) tall.
Valletta contains buildings from the 16th century onwards, built during the rule of the Order of St. The city is essentially Baroque in character, with elements of Mannerist, Neo-Classical and Modern architecture in selected areas, though the Second World War left major scars on the city, particularly the destruction of the Royal Opera House.
The City of Valletta was officially recognised as a World Heritage Site by UNESCO in 1980.
Seven Auberges were built for the Order's Langues, and these were complete by the 1580s.