In May the Napoleonic War was ended by a peace treaty.
The stations of the Yarmouth naval telegraph line set up in 1808 were rapidly sold off.
This included the Telegraph station on Telegraph Road in Icklingham.
In November a petition applying for an Act of Parliament for enclosure of the Bury St Edmunds town fields was considered in the House.
Landowners needed to maximise their efficiency in the face of falling prices, and it would be the common users who would have to give way.
The picture shows the notice giving details of the sports for the Bury Festival on 17th June 1814.
It lists the old style races - the'Jingle race' and pig hunt.
Probably this low rental implies that Ridley had paid for the building to be erected, and in effect this was just a site rent.
In addition there were two new cottages for Sir Thomas Cullum's labourers which were not yet occupied.Records survive of a survey made by Thomas Warren of the buildings located at the Fornham Wharf at this time.Most of the space was taken up by coal yards in various hands. Sir Thomas Cullum had a Timber Yard, a Coal Yard and a Carpenters Shop.Sir Thomas Gery Cullum was also managing the River Lark Navigation on behalf of his aunt, Susanna Palmer, at this time.The company assets included the Wharf at Fornham, located just downstream of the site of Babwell Priory.As farmers got less money for their crops, they could not pay the wartime levels of land rents, and also tried to reduce their production costs by reducing farm workers' wages.