The roof, originally built in pyramid form, has undergone various changes, culminating in the addition of four corner turrets in 1826.
On the top floor, an observation deck allows a bird's-eye view of the historic town and the Fagaras Mountains beyond.
The third square, Huet Square, is dominated by the Evangelical Cathedral.
First mentioned in a written document in 1411 as a grain market, the Great Square – the largest square in the city, has been throughout the centuries a quiet witness to the town's lively merchant activity, assemblies and even public executions.
Sibiu's Old Town retains the grandeur of its earlier days when rich and powerful guilds dominated regional trade.
Like Sighisoara and Brasov, it has a distinctly Germanic feeling.
Located in the heart of the old walled city, the square was designated an architectural monument by UNESCO and features some of the most impressive buildings in Sibiu.
Address: Piata Mare The north side of the Great Square is dominated by the Roman-Catholic Church .
Sections of the medieval wall still guard the historic area, where narrow streets pass steep-roofed 17th century buildings with gable overhangs before opening into vast, church-dominated squares such as Great Square and Little Square.
Sibiu is a pedestrian-friendly city with two easily accessible levels: the Upper town, home to most of Sibiu's historic sights, and the Lower town, lined with colorful houses on cobblestone streets and bounded by imposing city walls and defense towers overlooking the river Cibin.
* The seven walled citadels populated by the Saxons of Transylvania were known in German as the Siebenburgen.
The other Siebenburgen citadels are located in the towns of: Bistrita For hundreds of years, this walled town in the heart of Transylvania was one of the most powerful and prosperous strongholds in Europe.
Built in the 13-th century, this tower was used as entrance gate to the second row of fortified walls built around Sibiu.